- The benefit of celery seed extract in high blood pressure is its apparent safety and the fact that it has a very unusual mechanism of action as a diuretic.
- Most diuretics change the ratio of sodium to potassium in the blood and as a result, dangerous side effects can occur as a result of either too much potassium or sodium.
- In contrast, celery seed extract acts as a diuretic but does not alter the ratio of sodium to potassium in the blood.
- No other contraindications are presently known.
- Persons taking the drug Coumadin (warfarin) should be closely monitored by their health care practitioner when starting to use celery extract as a precautionary measure.
Celery Seed Extract is standardized to contain 85% 3-n-butyl phthalide or 3nB - a compound that is unique to celery and is responsible for the characteristic flavour and odour of celery. One capsule provides the same level of 3nB as 4 to 6 ribs of celery.
3nB was discovered as the active component of celery in response to investigations by researchers seeking to explain some of the medicinal effects of celery including the lowering of blood pressure, the relief of arthritis and especially gout.
Each capsule contains:
Celery seed (Apium graveolens) .....................75 mg
(Standardized to 85% 3-n-butylphthalide calculated as total phthalides)